Applicants from International and Non-Accredited Canadian Programs

The information below is intended for individuals who:

  • wish to work in Ontario, and
  • who have completed an international or non-accredited Canadian professional master’s degree in Audiology or Speech-language pathology.

Getting Started

Applying for registration with the College is now an online process. 

If you need an accommodation or if you have any issue that makes it not possible to use our online application, please contact us at [email protected].

Read before you start:

  1. Information on practising as an Audiologist or a Speech-Language Pathologist in Ontario
  2. Documents to submit to the College for your application
  3. Steps to becoming registered with the College
  4. The Canadian Entry to Practice (CETP) Exam
  5. Timeline for the application process
  6. Fees
  7. Use of Restricted Titles

Access the Online Application



A Webinar for International Applicants: Understanding the College, CASLPO Registration and Mentorship (January 2024)

PDF Slides   View Webinar Recording


Can I work as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist before the College registers me?

No, you cannot. It is against the law to work as an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist in the province of Ontario without first obtaining a certificate of registration with CASLPO.

Can I be registered in Ontario as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist with a bachelor's degree?

No. To be registered in Ontario as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, you must have completed a professional master's degree in the field. This degree must contain coursework, clinical practicum and a research component.

Undergraduate level university courses may be used towards the coursework requirements. It is understood that the majority of the coursework hours in the major professional area will have been completed at the master's level.

Can I submit Speech-Language & Audiology Canada's (SAC's) Summary of Clinical Practice Hours form instead of CASLPO's Summary of Clinical Practicum?

Yes, CASLPO will accept SAC's Summary of Clinical Practice Hours form or an equivalent official document from your university in lieu of CASLPO's "Summary of Clinical Practicum" provided that it has all of the information contained in CASLPO's Form.

Do I need to get a course-by-course credential assessment report?

No. A course by course credential assessment is not required. However, CASLPO requires all International graduates to obtain a "document-by-document" or Basic Assessment from one of the CASLPO approved credentialing agencies. A list of approved credentialing agencies is available in CASLPO's Initial or General Certificate Application Guide - International Graduates.

Does CASLPO accept problem-based learning coursework hours?

Yes, problem-based learning hours are accepted towards the fulfillment of coursework hours.

Please note that CASLPO accepts 30% of student-directed coursework hours (e.g., laboratory, problem-based learning hours) and 100% of instructor-directed coursework hours (e.g., lecture, tutorial, seminar hours). In all cases, the type of coursework hours that have been completed must be clearly indicated in your course/module syllabi.

What if my program doesn't have coursework or clinical practicum hours in the minor professional area (e.g., SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY for audiology applicants or AUDIOLOGY for speech-language pathology applicants)?

Because coursework and practicum hours in the minor professional area are non-exemptible requirements, they must be fulfilled. However, when this is the ONLY deficiency in meeting all of the requirements for registration, a panel of CASLPO's Registration Committee may grant an initial certificate of registration with conditions regarding the completion of these requirements after registration.

Please note that any time a deficiency in an application is identified, the application must be referred to the registration committee for review. This means that the application process will take additional time. Please follow this link for the application timelines.

What does "non-exemptible requirement" mean?

When a requirement is non-exemptible it means that the requirement cannot be waived by any staff member of CASLPO, or by a panel of the College's Registration Committee.

My master's program is allowing me to waive an SLP course (i.e., acquired language disorders). Is that ok?

We advise extreme caution in opting out of a professional course offered by your master's programs.

In the past, we have seen applicants whose master's program accepted an undergraduate course (e.g., survey language disorders course, phonology) in place of a master's level disorders course (e.g., Aphasia, Phonological disorders). After review by the College's Registration Committee, these applicants were deemed to have not met CASLPO's minimum requirements and were required to then complete that course before becoming registered.

Please note that CASLPO (and likely other regulatory bodies) require in-depth study of the relevant content areas (indicated in the application guide). Survey courses or short focus of the content area in a course primarily related to other topic(s) are not sufficient to meet the requirement.

When will I be contacted once CASLPO receives my application?

Within 15 days of CASLPO receiving your application, you will be contacted via email. At that time, the College will let you know:

  • Whether or not your application is complete, or
  • If your application is ready for review.

Please note, it is not possible for CASLPO to expedite any applications. We are committed to processing applications as quickly as possible and in the order that they are received.

Please refrain from calling or emailing the College prior to the 15 days, as it slows our processing significantly.

I am unsure if you have received the documents I sent. Can you let me know if you have received them?

The College has posted timelines on the website indicating how long the different steps of the application and registration processes will take.

As an example, we will contact you within 15 days of receiving your application form and we will let you know at that point which documents we have received. At each stage, we will let you know in our email when you should expect to hear from us next. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to each applicant regarding the receipt of individual documents on the day that the document is received.

Please contact us only in the following situations:

  • there has been a change to your application
  • you have new contact information
  • you would like to withdraw your application
  • it is past the deadline you were provided with

Outside of these situations, please refrain from contacting us and trust that we will email you regarding each step of your application process. There are many applicants to the College throughout the year, and additional calls and emails slow down the review process for you and everyone else so that we cannot meet our deadlines.

Will CASLPO accept notarized copies of my documents?

No. The College does not accept notarized copies of the required documents for registration (i.e., transcripts, clinical practicum hours, academic credential assessment, language test scores, etc.).

I graduated from my bachelor's degree in the 1980s/90s/long time ago. I am having trouble finding any syllabi from those courses. Do I need to submit a course syllabus from every single course I am including as part of the coursework requirements?

What we say is to do your best. For our files, we need documentation that demonstrates which subsection a course's hours go into and how many hours there are. If the course title is transparent/obvious (i.e., intro to psychology/intro to linguistics/Phonetics) and you have other documents that will tell us how many lecture hours there are in a similar course in that semester, then it is less important that we obtain the specific syllabus for such a course. For other courses, the specific information about content (i.e., "Voice Disorders" does not tell us
if 'cleft palate management' was covered) cannot be obtained from the course title and/or the transcript or other syllabi. If coursework hours vary across courses, then another syllabus will not provide the required information.

If you do not have copies of your syllabi and have consulted with former classmates, we suggest contacting the professor, as most professors have electronic copies of their course syllabi. Additionally, the office of the Registrar at universities have kept copies of the course calendars with course and program descriptions and can send that. As well, try googling the course number and the year, you would be surprised what applicants have found in the past!

The risk of not sending enough documentation related to your coursework is that if some information is missing, then we will need to come back to you to ask for further information, which will add time to the application process.

What fees must I pay to complete my registration with CASLPO?

The fees associated with The College's registration process can be found on CASLPO's fees chart here.

After the College has reviewed my application, can I get the original documents returned to me?

No. The College will not return original documents to applicants regardless of whether the College approves or denies an application.

Applicants may have access to copies of all documents submitted during the application process by sending a written request via email to CASLPO's Program Assistant. The following service fee is also required with the applicant's written request:

  • $50.00 per request including the first twenty-five pages, and $1.00 per page thereafter.
After I submit my application to CASLPO, how long does it remain active?

Two years is the amount of time your application is active following your receipt of a registration decision from CASLPO.

A CASLPO application expires if you have not completed your registration with the College within two years of CASLPO’s receipt of your application or within the timeframe specified in a decision by a panel of the College’s Registration Committee. If your CASLPO application expires, you must reapply to become eligible for registration again and your new application will be evaluated according to the registration requirements currently in place at the time of submission.

How long does it take to become registered with CASLPO if I meet CASLPO's registration requirements?

Please click here to see CASLPO's application timeline.

How long will it take to review my application if I do not meet one or more of CASLPO's registration requirements?

Four to six months is the approximate time it will take for the Registration Committee to complete a review of your application and issue a decision if you do not meet one or more of CASLPO's requirements for registration.

  1. It will take approximately 15 days to notify you of the status of your application. This will include the list of documents that we have received and any that are outstanding.
  2. Once your application is complete, it will take up to 10 weeks to determine if your application has a deficiency.
  3. Once a deficiency has been identified, it takes approximately 30 days before you will receive a notice that tells you we are referring your application to the Registration Committee for consideration. The notice of referral will outline the deficiencies found in your application.
  4. You have 30 days to respond to the notice of referral and make any additional submissions to the Registration Committee regarding your deficiencies.
  5. Your application will be considered by the Registration Committee at the next scheduled meeting. Meeting dates are not pre-set but are scheduled quarterly.
  6. The Registration Committee's decision will be provided to you in writing approximately 5 weeks following the meeting date.

Please note that if there are outstanding requirements, additional training and/or testing may be required by the Registration Committee before an applicant can be registered.

Why is my application being referred to the Registration Committee?

Applications are referred to the Registration Committee if the Registrar believes that the applicant has not met the College's registration requirements.

What are the College's Registration Requirements?

The College's registration requirements are outlined in Ontario Regulation 21/12.

How often does the Registration Committee meet?

The Registration Committee panels meet quarterly. Panels may meet more frequently depending on the volume of applications for review. However, the Committee does not have a set schedule.

Can I make a presentation to the Registration Committee to support my case?

Applicants are not permitted to attend Registration Committee panel meetings in person. Applicants must provide any additional information in their written submission at least one-week before the Registration Committee panel meeting.

Do I need to apply for registration with CASLPO before I enroll for the CETP Exam?
For graduates of Non-Accredited Canadian Programs 

Applicants from Non-Accredited Canadian Programs who have completed the academic and clinical requirements for an AUD or SLP Master’s Education Program may enroll for the Canadian Entry To Practice (CETP) Exam through Speech Language and Audiology Canada (SAC)’s website during the enrollment period before receiving confirmation of eligibility from CASLPO. 

However, the applicant must also complete their online application, including the submission of all of the required documents and fees at least 10 weeks ahead of the exam date

To confirm the applicant’s eligibility to write the CETP Exam, a full review of the application for registration must be completed to determine if all of the registration requirements have been met. CASLPO must provide the names of any graduates of Non-Accredited Canadian Programs whose eligibility to take the CETP Exam has been confirmed to SAC’s Exam Manager at the latest three weeks before the next scheduled CETP Exam date. 

For graduates of International Programs 

Graduates of Audiology or Speech-language pathology programs from outside of Canada must have their application assessed by CASLPO for CASLPO registration and to determine their eligibility to write the CETP Exams-AUD/SLP. 

To become eligible for the next available exam sitting, it is recommended that international applicants complete their online application, including the submission of all of the required documents and fees at least 20 weeks ahead of the exam date.

NOTE: An applicant from an International program may only begin their application with CASLPO after they have completed their professional master’s program in audiology or speech-language pathology

Where can I find more information about the CETP Exam?

The Canadian Entry to Practice Exam is administered by Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC).

Please visit the SAC website at for full details about the CETP Exam.

When can I take the CETP Exam?

The CETP Exam is held three times a year.

Exam enrollment dates and deadlines are post at

What happens if I fail the CETP exam?

If you have started mentorship and you do not pass the CETP Exam, you must stop your practice and your mentorship within 30 business days of learning of your Exam failure. Your initial certificate of registration with CASLPO will expire after that 30 business day period. You may re-apply for an initial certificate after your successful completion of the Exam is confirmed. Your mentorship can be resumed when your initial certificate has been reinstated.

If you have not completed your registration with CASLPO and you have failed the CETP Exam on your first attempt, your application will remain active for up to two years from the date your application was received by the College and you will be permitted to continue with your registration after your successful completion of the Exam is confirmed.

Which type of certificate of registration should I register for?

Applicants have the option to choose the type of certificate of registration (i.e., licenses) that best suits their situation. The following types of certificates of registration are available:

  1. Initial
  2. General
  3. Academic
  4. Non-Practising

Flowchart for assistance deciding which type of certificate to apply for.

I completed a CFY year in the United States. Does that time count towards professional experience?

Professional experience consists of time in which you were employed as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, and you were the professional who was accountable for all of the service you provided.

I have received my Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA), do I have to complete a mentorship with CASLPO?

The receipt of a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) does not determine whether you must complete a mentorship with CASLPO.

If you wish to become a general, academic or non-practising registrant with CASLPO and if you meet the registration requirements for one of these certificates as set out in Ontario Regulation 21/12, you do not need to complete a mentorship with CASLPO.

However, if you become an initial registrant with CASLPO, you must successfully complete a minimum 6-month mentorship when beginning to work in Ontario.

CASLPO's mentorship period provides new registrants with an orientation to CASLPO's professional standards, self-assessment tool, and peer assessment process which is very different from what must be done during ASHA's Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY).

You must apply for an Initial Certificate of Registration if you have completed a professional master's degree in SLP or AUD as well as one or more of the following:

  1. You have NOT provided a minimum of 750 hours of patient care or related work in audiology or speech-language pathology in another jurisdiction.
  2. You have provided a minimum of 750 hours of patient care or related work in audiology or speech-language pathology in another jurisduction, but you have not passed the registration examination, but you wish to start practising in Ontario with a mentor.

Completion of CASLPO's mentorship period is not required if you meet the following requirements for a general certificate:

  1. Your application has been reviewed and you have been deemed eligible for registration with CASLPO.
  2. You have provided 750 hours of patient care or related work in audiology or speech-language pathology in another jurisdiction in the last three years.
  3. You have successfully completed the College's registration examination.


  1. You are currently registered in another Canadian regulated province and have a certificate that is equivalent to CASLPO's general certificate.
Where can I find out more about the CASLPO Mentorship Program?
I'm currently unemployed, do I need to have professional liability insurance coverage?

If you hold an initial or a general certificate of registration with CASLPO, you must also maintain your professional liability insurance coverage.

Academic registrants are also required to maintain professional liability insurance coverage if they are directly responsible for providing or deciding to provide any clinical services within the scope of their practice.

For details about the requirements, please refer to College By-law #6.

I have been offered employment fulltime at a schoolboard where my professional liability insurance is paid. I also plan to see one or two children privately. Do I need professional liability insurance coverage for the few children I see privately?

Yes, you must be covered (either personally or by your employer) by professional liability insurance for a minimum of $2,000,000 per claim for all business locations at which you practice.

I have been offered employment at a large health sciences centre. How do I know if I have sufficient professional liability insurance?

Speak to your organization's finance, corporate services and/or human resources department. All regulated health colleges require registrants to have professional liability insurance, so the organization should be able to confirm that they have the required insurance ($2 million per claim) to cover regulated health professionals.

What is the difference between a regulatory body (i.e., CASLPO) and a professional association (i.e., SAC, OSLA, CAA, ASHA, SPA and ISHA)?

Click here for the "Did You Know… the differences between a regulatory body and an association?"

Will my online university courses fulfill CASLPO's coursework hours requirements?

Yes, CASLPO will accept university coursework hours that are taught online.

Can I drop my application off in person at CASLPO's office?

The College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario is operating a virtual office until further notice. There are no walk-in visits being accepted at the College at this time. Visit our contact us information page.


© 2024 CASLPO

© 2024 CASLPO

This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous with "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.