Applicants from Accredited Canadian Programs

The information below is intended for individuals who:

Getting Started

Applying for registration with the College is now an online process. 

If you need an accommodation or if you have any issue that makes it not possible to use our online application, please contact us at [email protected].

Read before you start:

  1. Information on practising as an Audiologist or a Speech-Language Pathologist in Ontario
  2. Documents to submit to the College for your application
  3. Steps to becoming registered with the College 
  4. The Canadian Entry to Practice (CETP) Exam
  5. Timeline for the application process
  6. Fees
  7. Use of Restricted Titles

Access the Online Application



A Webinar About CASLPO Registration and Mentorship 
Join us for a webinar where we will answer questions and provide you with valuable information regarding CASLPO's licensing process and mentorship program. 

Date: Monday, May 27, 2024 
Time: 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm EDT

Webinar Registration

Public Register 

Before starting to work as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist in Ontario, verify your registration status by searching for your name or registration number on the Public Register. 

Public Register


Updated May 8, 2023

Can I work as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist before the College registers me?

No, you cannot. It is against the law to work as an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist in the province of Ontario without first obtaining a certificate of registration with CASLPO.

When will I be contacted once CASLPO receives my application?

Within 15 days of CASLPO receiving your application, you will be contacted via email. At that time, the College will let you know:

  • Whether or not your application is complete, or
  • If your application is ready for review.

Please note, it is not possible for CASLPO to expedite any applications. We are committed to processing applications as quickly as possible and in the order that they are received.

Please refrain from calling or emailing the College prior to the 15 days, as it slows our processing significantly.

I am unsure if you have received the documents I sent. Can you let me know if you have received them?

The College has posted timelines on the website indicating how long the different steps of the application and registration processes will take at

As an example, we will contact you within 15 days of receiving your application and we will let you know at that point which documents we have received. At each stage, we will let you know in our email when you should expect to hear from us next. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to each applicant regarding the receipt of individual documents on the day that the document is received.

Please contact us only in the following situations:

  • there has been a change to your application;
  • you have new contact information;
  • you would like to withdraw your application;
  • it is past the deadline you were provided with.

Outside of these situations, please refrain from contacting us and trust that we will email you regarding each step of your application process. There are many applicants to the College throughout the year, and additional calls and emails slow down the review process for you and everyone else so that we cannot meet our deadlines.

What fees must I pay to complete my registration with CASLPO?

The fees associated with The College's registration process can be found on CASLPO's fees chart here.

After the College has reviewed my application, can I get my original documents returned to me?

No. The College will not return original documents to applicants regardless of whether the College approves or denies an application.

Applicants may have access to copies of all documents submitted during the application process by sending a written request via email to CASLPO's Program Assistant. The following service fee is also required with the applicant's written request:

• $50.00 per request including the first twenty-five pages, and $1.00 per page thereafter.

After I submit my application to CASLPO, how long does it remain active?

Two years is the amount of time your application is active following your receipt of a registration decision from CASLPO.

A CASLPO application expires if you have not completed your registration with the College within two years of CASLPO’s receipt of your application or within the timeframe specified in a decision by a panel of the College’s Registration Committee. If your CASLPO application expires, you must reapply to become eligible for registration again and your new application will be evaluated according to the registration requirements currently in place at the time of submission.

How long does it take to become registered with CASLPO if I meet CASLPO's registration requirements?

Please click here to see CASLPO's application timeline.

How long will it take to review my application if I do not meet one or more of CASLPO's registration requirements?

Four to six months is the approximate time it will take for the Registration Committee to complete a review of your application and issue a decision if you do not meet one or more of CASLPO's requirements for registration.

  1. It will take 15 days to notify you of the status of your application. This will include the list of documents that we have received and any that are outstanding.
  2. Once your application is complete, it will take up to 15 days to determine if your application has a deficiency.
  3. If a deficiency is found, you will be notified that the Registrar is referring your application to the Registration Committee for review within 30 days of receiving a completed application. The notice of referral will outline the deficiencies found in your application.
  4. You have 30 days to respond to the notice of referral and make any additional submissions to the Registration Committee regarding your deficiencies.
  5. Your application will be considered by the Registration Committee at the next scheduled meeting. Meeting dates are not pre-set but are scheduled quarterly.
  6. The Registration Committee's decision will be provided to you in writing approximately 5 weeks following the meeting date.

Please note that if there are outstanding requirements, additional training and/or testing may be required by the Registration Committee before an applicant can be registered.

Why is my application being referred to the Registration Committee?

Applications are referred to the Registration Committee if the Registrar believes that the applicant has not met the College's registration requirements.

What are the College's Registration Requirements?

The College's registration requirements are outlined in Ontario Regulation 21/12.

How often does the Registration Committee meet?

The Registration Committee panels meet quarterly. Panels may meet more frequently depending on the volume of applications for review. However, the Committee does not have a set schedule.

Can I make a presentation to the Registration Committee to support my case?

Applicants are not permitted to attend Registration Committee panel meetings in person. Applicants must provide any additional information in their written submission at least one-week before the Registration Committee panel meeting.

Do I need to apply for registration with CASLPO before I enroll for the CETP Exam?

If you're a new graduate from an accredited Canadian university program in audiology or speech-language pathology and if it is your first time attempting the CETP Exam, you don't need to apply for registration with CASLPO before enrolling for the CETP Exam. However, you must fulfill the academic and clinical requirements of your audiology or speech-language pathology master's education program at least 20 days before the CETP Exam date. Your university program director will confirm your eligibility to take the CETP Exam with SAC directly.

If you have graduated from an accredited Canadian university program in audiology or speech-language pathology and if you have failed at least one attempt to pass the CETP Exam, you must apply for registration with CASLPO before enrolling for your next attempt to pass the CETP Exam.

If it has been over one year since you graduated from an accredited Canadian university program, you may enroll for the Exam during the Exam enrollment period before receiving confirmation of eligibility from CASLPO but must also submit a complete application with all the required documents to CASLPO for review at least 8 weeks before the Exam date. This will allow CASLPO enough time to review your application and confirm your eligibility to take the Exam 20 days before the Exam date.

Where can I find more information about the CETP Exam?

The Canadian Entry to Practice Exam is administered by Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC). Please visit the SAC website at for full details about the CETP Exam.

When can I take the CETP Exam?

The CETP Exam is held three times a year.

Exam enrollment dates and deadlines are post at

What happens if I fail the CETP exam?

If you have started mentorship and you do not pass the CETP Exam, you must stop your practice and your mentorship within 30 business days of learning of your Exam failure. Your initial certificate of registration with CASLPO will expire after that 30 business day period. You may re-apply for an initial certificate after your successful completion of the Exam is confirmed. Your mentorship can be resumed when your initial certificate has been reinstated.

If you have not completed your registration with CASLPO and you have failed the CETP Exam on your first attempt, your application will remain active for up to two years from the date your application was received by the College and you will be permitted to continue with your registration after your successful completion of the Exam is confirmed.

Which type of certificate of registration should I register for?

Applicants should apply for the type of certificate of registration (i.e., licenses) that best suits their situation. The following types of certificates of registration are available:

  1. Initial
  2. General
  3. Academic
  4. Non-Practising
Flowchart for assistance deciding which type of certificate to apply for.
Where can I find out more about the CASLPO Mentorship Program?
I'm currently unemployed, do I need to have professional liability insurance coverage?

If you hold an initial or a general certificate of registration with CASLPO, you must also maintain your professional liability insurance coverage.

Academic registrants are also required to maintain professional liability insurance coverage if they are directly responsible for providing or deciding to provide any clinical services within the scope of their practice.

For details about the requirements, please refer to College By-law #6.

I have been offered employment fulltime at a schoolboard where my professional liability insurance is paid. I also plan to see one or two children privately. Do I need professional liability insurance coverage for the few children I see privately?

Yes, you must be covered (either personally or by your employer) by professional liability insurance for a minimum of $2,000,000 per claim for all business locations at which you practice.

I have been offered employment at a large health sciences centre. How do I know if I have sufficient professional liability insurance?

Speak to your organization's finance, corporate services and/or human resources department. All regulated health colleges require registrants to have professional liability insurance, so the organization should be able to confirm that they have the required insurance ($2 million per claim) to cover regulated health professionals.

What is the difference between a regulatory body (i.e., CASLPO) and a professional association (i.e., SAC, OSLA, CAA, ASHA, SPA and ISHA)?

Click here for the "Did You Know… the differences between a regulatory body and an association?"


© 2024 CASLPO

© 2024 CASLPO

This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous with "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.