A speech-language pathologist is trained to assess, treat and provide information for the following communication problems:


These include speech, language, voice, fluency, hearing and cognitive-communicative disorders.

Here are some examples:

  • A child may be slow to talk
  • A child may have difficulty understanding what is said (comprehension or receptive language difficulty)
  • A child may have difficulty putting a sentence together (expressive language difficulty)
  • A child might not be able to produce certain sounds (phonological or articulation problem)
  • A child may be difficult to understand, even though he/she can talk in full sentences (phonological or articulation problem)
  • A child or adult may be stuttering (dysfluency)
  • A child or adult may have cognitive communication problems as a result of a head injury
  • A child or adult may have a chronically hoarse voice or "lose" their voice for periods of time (voice problem or dysphonia)
  • An adult might have surgery to remove his voice box (larynx) and require an alternative way to produce voice
  • An adult may have difficulty understanding language and conversation due to a cognitive disability or following a stroke or other brain injury (aphasia)
  • A child or adult may have difficulty speaking clearly as a result of cerebral palsy, Down’s Syndrome or following a stroke or other brain injury (dysarthria or apraxia)
  • An adult may have difficulty in finding the right words and putting them together to form sentences (aphasia)
  • An adult may lose their ability to communicate verbally due to a progressive neurological disease such as Lou Gehrig’s disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease).
  • An adult or child may need an augmentative or alternative means of communication.
  • A child or adult may be hard-of-hearing or may be deaf


Swallowing problems are called dysphagia. Dysphagia can include difficulties with chewing food, controlling liquids and drooling.  It can also include the swallowing of food and/or liquid. Speech-language pathologists assess, manage and treat the oral motor dysfunction underlying the swallowing problems and work with other members of the health care team to ensure all areas of the swallowing difficulty are addressed.


If you have concerns about your child's, a family member's or your own communication, or swallowing problems contact a speech-language pathologist in your community. CASLPO can help you to find a speech-language pathologist in your geographic area.

  1. Go to the Public Register of Members on CASLPO’s website
  2. Contact CASLPO Telephone: 416 975 5347 Toll Free: 800 993 9459


This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous to "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.